Summer is almost here, so it’s time to add some bikini and sun happiness to our journals. I got you covered with this extensive list of Summer Bullet Journal theme ideas!
This post may contain affiliate links. They will be of no extra expense for you, but I receive a small commission. Please see my Disclosure for more details. Thank you for supporting Masha Plans!
Summer is absolutely crazy here in Beijing, the temperature is around +38°C (100,4°F) on an average day, and with the city being so darn huge, it really feels like being in a massive rice cooker. Sure, I got used to it, but only with the help of those GORGEOUS Chinese fans they have here and 100 SPF sunscreen (which reminds me, always wear sunscreen guys!).
While sitting here and dreaming of that distant beach vacation I’ll probably won’t have in a few years, it’s always nice to find an escape in my Bullet Journal, and this year, I decided to combine all the ideas I could possibly come up with in one list.
For me, summer is a time to dream and escape to BuJo pages. For those of you who are on vacations, I’m sure it’s probably the best time to be more creative and maybe experiment more in your Bullet Journal, maybe try out some new medium (watercolor, I’ll get to try you one day! I promise!).
So let’s dive in this list and see if it can spark your imagination! I divided the list into general ideas and then some ideas based on different holidays.
I also gathered some fantastic inspiration from creators all over Instagram, so make sure to scroll down and check those out as well!
And finally as a bonus there is a “How To Doodle” video with fun little summer themed doodles you can use to decorate your pages.
Summer Bullet Journal Theme Ideas
Summer is a fantastic time of the year, actually, it might be my favorite! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and the inspiration is all around us!
Let’s get creative in our Bullet Journals with these fun theme ideas!
- Tropic. Who doesn’t dream in hot summer months about a tropical vacation?! Use this as your inspiration for a monthly theme. Palm trees, coconuts and pineapples and maybe a pina colada or two (but don’t be driving afterward!) – let your fantasy flow.
- Fruits. Summer is the time to enjoy lots of deliciousness from the fruit department (see: Pina colada above. Kidding!) It’s a pretty fun topic with lots of great options: lemons, oranges, pineapples, strawberries – whatever fruits tickle your fancy.
- Days on the beach. I don’t know about you, but every summer, a day on the beach is all I can think of while I’m melting here in Beijing, and I’m quite sure I’m not alone. Let’s turn this wish into a fun monthly theme with lots of fun doodles like beach balls, beach umbrellas, bikinis, sand castles, crabs and shells. You can check my doodle spread from last July for ideas on some super simple and fun doodles.
- Pool day. Another take on a fun watery weekend. Decorate your pages with white and blue and add some related doodles like a lifeguard chair, trampoline, pool doodles and some nice cold drink in a cooler.
- The sea. Summer can be all about going to the sea, but it doesn’t have to be a beach day. Use your imagination and decorate your pages with ocean waves, sea creatures and maybe a lighthouse.
- Barbecue. Summertime BBQ is probably my favorite way to spend a weekend and chill with friends and family. If you do with this theme, add to your pages some doodles of grills, hamburgers, hotdogs, soft drinks or beer and maybe a boombox playing some tunes on the background.
- Roller skates. Summer is a perfect time to skate around with the wind in your hair. Some doodles ideas are roller skates, hand bands, water bottles, and musical tunes. You can even go old style and remember the retro roller skating gear.
- Tennis. One more fun summer sport. This all about yellow tennis balls, rockets, sports shoes and of course those cute mini skirts!
- Boats. Who wouldn’t want to spend their summer on a boat?! This is definitely on my bucket list.
- Fishing. Speaking of boats, isn’t summer a good time for fishing? Decorate your pages with all the fishing gear and of course some trophy catch.
- Camping. Probably the best thing to do during summer. Or at least it’s in my dreams since I never got a chance to actually go camping… one day! You can add to your spread lots of themed doodles: campfires, tents, sleeping bags, marshmallows, backpacks or maybe create a whole spread with fantastic mountain scenery.
- Picnics. Sandwiches, picnic baskets, old-style radios and of course white and red checkered blankets. This sounds to me like amazing summer time.
- Cicadas. There is something magical about cicadas singing in the dark on the hot summer night.
- Fireflies. One more magical summer blessing is the fireflies. They are so dreamy! It’s pretty easy to doodle those, and you can add the shine with gold watercolors or a gold gel pen.
- Flowers. This is a classic theme and it can go well at any month. Maybe for summer concentrate on flowers that bloom at that time, or maybe just choose some brighter colored ones. It’s all up to you! Check out my tutorials on 15 easy flower doodles, or give a look to “How To Draw Modern Flowers” book for more elaborate and realistic floral tutorials.
- Bees. Speaking of flowers, you can’t forget about the bees. These hard-working little buddies are so important! You can go super realistic, or draw some cute doodly bees.
- Ice Cream. Is there anything more summery than ice cream? Create colorful spreads with all your favorite ice-cream flavors!
- Summer drinks. Everything with ice can be considered a summer drink! Think ice-tea and lemonade, or maybe sangria and mojitos (for 21+ only!). There are so many ideas to play around with.
- Sports. Summer is, of course, the time for us to get in shape. It’s so much easier to do it now when the energy is flowing and you’ve finally woken up from winter slumber. Decorate your Bullet Journal pages with workout related doodles: dumbbells, yoga mats, some fruits and vegetables, running shoes, bottles of water and so on. You can check out how to doodle some of these things in my Self Care Doodles video.
- Fireworks. While Beijing summer is absolutely firework less, it’s still forever a summer theme for me!
- Polaroids. Old school polaroid pictures just scream at me – summer memories! Definitely check out my May Plan With Me for inspiration for this theme. You can draw a bunch of old-style cameras, or use polaroid picture frames and your daily boxes.
- Books. My favorite thing to do in summer has always been to sit outside on a rocking chair and read a good book. Think of your favorite book and create some themed doodles, or maybe just doodles books and bookshelves all over your spreads.
- Wildlife. Flamingos, elephants, giraffes or maybe deers and rabbits? Get some inspiration from the wildlife around you.
- Gardening. Decorate your spreads with some cute plants and different gardening supplies. Or maybe go big and imagine the garden of your dreams!
- Bicycles. What’re your favorite things to do during the summer? When I was a kid I loved nothing more than riding a bike, so I think it’s a great summer theme. Add some flowers to your drawing of different types of bicycles. Or maybe add some related doodles, like helmets, sneakers and the sunscreen your mom always tried to (wisely) make you wear.
- Kites. Here in China kites are so big! If you go to a park in summer you’ll see lots of people flying these beauties! It’s also a great way to add some fun bright colors and unusual patterns to your Bullet Journal pages.
- Summer favorites. What are your summer essentials? Think of all the things you love about summer and just decorate your journal with some fun doodles.
For more general ideas you can always check out my Ultimate List Of Bullet Journal Themes.
Another approach you can take to summer themes is to base it on some holidays. You can always find a spark of inspiration in these holidays and get doodle ideas from things and decorations around you on that day!
My advice is to always check YouTube and Pinterest, they are full of creative ideas on any topic. And while you’re there, give a look at my YouTube channel! All the visits are more than welcome!
Here is a list of some big and just fun holidays you might consider. Most of them are USA holidays, but I included a few Chinese and Japanese ones. I must say that those are based on the lunar calendar, so the dates are different every year.
Speaking of holidays, what’s your favorite summer holiday? Check the list below and let me know!
- Pride Month (whole month)
- Children’s Day (June 1st)
- National Cheese Day (June 4th)
- Dragon Boat Festival (June 7th)
- National Best Friend’s Day (June 8th)
- International Sushi Day (June 18th)
- International Yoga Day (June 21st)
- National Blueberry Month (whole month)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- National Bikini Day (July 5th)
- International Kissing Day (July 6th)
- National Video Game Day (July 8th)
- National Kitten Day (July 10th)
- World Emoji Day (July 17th)
- National Tequila Day (July 24th)
- Summer Festivals all over Japan (whole month)
- National Coloring Book Day (August 2nd)
- National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (August 4th)
- Chinese Valentine’s Day (August 7th)
- National Book Lover’s Day (August 9th)
- National Relaxation Day (August 15th)
- National Dog Day (August 26th)
I’m undecided between national sushi day and national dog day… What’s your favorite one?
Summer Bullet Journal Theme Inspirations
I gathered here some beautiful and adorable works by fantastic artists on Instagram, so get inspired and definitely check out these creative people and their other wonderful bujo pages!
How To Doodle: Summer Doodles
These all look fantastic, don’t they! I hope it got your imagination flowing and you already have lots of ideas on how to add summer cheers to your Bullet Journal pages. To help you out, I included below a “How To Doodle” video with lots of fun doodle ideas. After watching this tutorial you’ll be able to decorate your BuJo pages with tons of cheerful little doodles.
What themes will you use in your Bullet Journal this summer? Let me know in the comments section below.
Hope this post was interesting, if you find it so, please share! If you enjoy my content and want to show your appreciation, please consider supporting me with a cup of coffee.