Hey Planning Mashers!
Self-care doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming, and here are some simple ideas for you.
These self-care ideas will definitely bring your mood up and a lot of them won’t cost you anything at all.
I’ve been doing it for a while, so I decided I could share my list of 50 low-cost or free ways you can take care of yourself a little each day.
Check it out below and hopefully, it’ll be a useful tool for you to start making yourself more of a priority and leading a happier life.
This post may contain affiliate links. They will be of no extra expense for you, but I receive a small credit. Please see my Disclosure for more details. Thank you for supporting Masha Plans!
50 Self Care Ideas
When you think about it it’s amazing how many small everyday things can bring us joy and help reset.
But often the moments when you actually need self-care are the ones when nothing comes to mind.
That’s why I compiled this list, and I also recommend creating a list in your Bullet Journal, so you always can easily look at it when you need a bit of pick me up.
- Read a book you always wanted to but never seemed to find the time.
Reading is always so calming, and sometimes all you need is a little magic of a book world. If you’re not a fan it’s always ok to listen to an audiobook, these have been my favorite way of reading for the last few years.
- Make a list of things you are proud of, it will cheer you up and remind you of how amazing you are
It’s always fun to remind yourself of good things in your life, be it things you’ve achieved or maybe just some wonderful people and things you’re surrounded by.
- Listen to your favorite music and relax
I found that music has its own power to help you destress and relax.
- Take a bubbly bath, preferably with some aromatic candles and relaxing music
I think this is an ultimate self-care idea, because what can be more relaxing than a hot bath surrounded by ambient sounds and delicious smells.
- Treat yourself to a manicure/pedicure
You can have it done professionally, or just DIY it. Whichever you choose it’s definitely a nice thing to do for your body and it’ll make you feel prettier for sure.
- Allow yourself to enjoy an unplanned afternoon nap
Naps are not just for children, it’s a great way to reset the day and have some well-deserved rest.
- Go and treat yourself to a cup of hot beverage in a cozy coffee shop
Because why not, you deserve it. Put on a cute outfit, do your makeup and treat yourself.
- Practice yoga
Yoga is a great way to work on your body, but it also does wonders for your mind. It’ll help you to unplug and just take a moment to enjoy your present.
- Tell a loved one he/she matters to you
I truly believe you get what you receive and sending some love to the world will get back to you. Plus it’s always wonderful to say words like that to your loved ones.
- Have a walk in a park and enjoy the day
Nature kind of just has a healing power to it, so a simple walk in a park can do wonders for your mental health.
- Practice meditation, simply just sit for 10 minutes and let the life flow over you
Meditation is a great way to practice self-care. It helps you to reconnect with your emotions and find inner peace. Or at least to have a few minutes away from your every day worries.
- Cook a delicious meal
Cooking a meal is a wonderful way to not just help your health, but also give your brain a little rest from worrying. And of course, if it’s something special and delicious you get to enjoy it later and feel so proud of yourself.
- Treat yourself to ordering your dinner
If cooking isn’t your thing, just treat yourself and order from your favorite neighborhood restaurant. For me, it’s a pasta place on my block where they have the most delicious ravioli I’ve ever had.
- Do some adult coloring
Creative activities like coloring are great, they will help to use your brain in a different way and to just have fun doing something you loved so much when you were a kid.
- Find your inner calm by drawing a mandala
Mandalas are well known for their meditative abilities. It will help you to concentrate on something simple, like drawing the lines, and will let your brain work on the background uninterrupted.
- Make a list of all things that made you laugh
Laughter is the best medicine, so do something that makes you laugh. Having a list of ideas is great as well, so you don’t need to overthink and know exactly what to do.
- Write down all the things you are grateful for in your life
Having a gratitude log definitely will help you see your life in a more positive way. And sometimes a little burst of positivity is exactly what you need to make your day better.
- Do something with your hands – draw, make a scrapbook page, origami
Creating something with your hands is always something that calms you down, so get a hobby and pursue it in your free time to practice self-care.
- Watch some funny YouTube videos (maybe give a try to my YouTube channel ;)
YouTube has so much interesting content there! Watch a Bullet Journal video, your favorite comic, or maybe a TED talk.
- Make a list of all the things you want to learn to do
Learning new things is always interesting and stimulating. But with everyday worries, it’s easy to delay learning what you want, or just not find time to do it. Make a list and start crushing it.
- Have a hot cup of tea while sitting comfortably in your favorite chair
Simple pleasures in life, but how often do we actually take a minute to sit and mindfully enjoy the flavor of your tea (or coffee, whatever is your preference).
- Start your morning with a smile to yourself
Ok, this seems not real, but honestly when you smile your mood kind of improves a little bit.
- Practice affirmations
Affirmation won’t only help you attract what you want, it will help you to figure out what are some things you want in your life.
- Have a chat with a loved one
Staying connected is very important, and sometimes a chat with somebody you love is all the self-care you need.
- Watch a motivational TED talk online
Those are a great and very fast way to up your motivation and get you going right there towards your goals.
- Write a journal entry
Journaling is a great way to explore yourself more and work through whatever issues you might have with yourself.
- Enjoy lighting up that wonderfully scented candle you felt too bad to burn
Scented candles are so calming and isn’t it a wonderful feeling to finally burn that special candle you’ve been keeping.
- Write down something you’ve learned about yourself lately
There are so many things we learn about ourselves all the time, but often those lessons get lost. Why not create a spread with all the things you learned.
- Clean up your wardrobe – just leave the clothes you love and use. Donate the rest!
First of all, cleaning out your house is always a satisfying process. Secondly, you deserve to always look your best and wear your favorite clothes.
- Go for a quick jog around the block (or a park!)
Exercising is a great way to level up your mood, however lazy you might feel to work out (cause I always feel too lazy, but always beeling happy I did later on).
- Write a master list of all the things you WANT to do and choose one to do (or maybe start planning how to make it happen)
I think if you don’t start planning to do the things you want you’ll never do them, considering how fast life is, and so full of obligations.
- Make yourself a delicious smoothie
It’s a healthy and delicious treat, which can also be a great boost for your mood and your immune system.
- Call a friend for a meetup
A girl’s date can be a great way for you to relax and dish about life with your girlfriends.
- Treat your hair to a nutritious mask
Hair masks are great for your hair and it’s a great little thing you can do for yourself.
- Watch a Disney movie you loved so much when you were a kid
My personal go-to is the 1991 Beauty and The Beast. Let me know in the comments what’s your go-to comfy movie.
- Do some singing and dancing
Jump around, sing your favorite songs, have a little party just for yourself.
- Make a schedule of how you see your perfect day (and work on making it so!)
Creating routines can help you be more organized and have more time in the day for yourself and things you love.
- Wear some pretty clothes next time you leave the house
The clothes you wear really make you and your mood, so give yourself a boost next time and wear something extra pretty.
- Scroll in Pinterest for some cute pictures and interesting articles
Or maybe create a mood board for your closet update.
- Have a glass of wine, preferably with some cheese
A glass of wine is healthy! And it really makes you feel like it’s a special day worth celebrating.
- Allow yourself a dessert after dinner
Probably not the best habit to have every day, but that’s also why it will feel so special when you do.
- Have a hot bath for your feet, and don’t forget to add there some sea salt
This is one of the easiest ways to level up your mood, and your feet will definitely thank you for this.
- Join a group of likeminded people – a club, or maybe just a Facebook group (like our little planning group Bullet Journaling To Happiness)
It’s always nice when you have a group of people who share your hobbies and will definitely get your excitement about things like a new set of pens for example.
Because why not? The Bullet Journal method can help you with so much!
Drawing is always a great way to unplug, and what can be more relaxing than drawing flowers! With the right tutorials, it is much easier than you think.
- Or maybe just simply doodle
If drawing flowers seems like too much for you, just do some doodling.
- Go through your photos and remember all the beautiful moments you shared with your loved ones
We take so many photos all the time, but how often do we actually take the time to look back at these beautiful moments?
- Make a list of the places you want to visit (and start planning how and when you can go there)
How will you ever visit all the places you want without a list of places you wanna go to? Get a bit dreamy and think of your dream locations.
- Burn some essence and enjoy your house
Sometimes taking a moment and just enjoying the home your created can be an amazing act of self-care.
- Change your phone screen background for a motivational quote
I have my vision board as a background and it helps me to stay motivated and clear on my life goals.
And there are so many more things you could be doing! What do you usually do to have a small break for yourself? Looking forward to checking out your ideas in the comments below!
Hope this post was interesting, if you find it so, please share! If you enjoy my content and want to show your appreciation, please consider supporting me with a cup of coffee.
And remember: Keep Bullet Journaling and Don’t Be A Blob.